I've spent a bit of time revamping this blog because I want to get started seriously blogging again.
I've updated About Me, and added a few new things:
- My Twitter Updates - I already use these to update my Facebook, and I use my mobile phone to tweet when on the move, so why not use the widget here as well? See the column on the right.
- Typepad now lets me include a list of my other online personae, e.g. flickr, delicious, skype, etc., so there they are under My Other Accounts on the left. Just for ease of access for friends and colleagues trying to find me or contact me.
- I've changed my blog categories to a cloud - saves space and it's a bit more bling.
- Most important: I've started using Typepad's web pages tool. I've created a Google Map of fabulous chocolate shops I have been to around the world (with notes, reviews and photos), and used Map Channels to embed this in my first new blog page: Morag's Chocolate Map. I have to say a big thank you to Sheila MacNeill for the idea: her CAPLE shoe blog certainly inspired me (and I must get on to putting my own shoe entries into her map soon, since I am privileged to have that permission being an ex-CAPLE staff member.
- I've (perhaps temporarily) removed my recommendations lists of books on shamanism and spirituality, and also links to other people and organisations. It's just too hard to keep these things up-to-date and they take a lot of space. Will have a think about how to do that sort of thing- ideally I'd like to keep all my book recommendations on LibraryThing for instance, but Typepad doesn't appear to have a widget or link for that.
- I've kept some lists of my own writings just so they have somewhere to live on the web: I will need to update these, especially as I want to have a complete category of writings connected to my professional life in e-learning and e-librarianship.
- Speaking of which, I've decided to start doing work-related blogging on this blog: have been waiting for my workplace to get its act together in providing us with staff blogs, but have decided I want something a bit more my own, that can carry forward no matter where I'm working. An experiment in not keeping work and other interests separate as well.
So: watch this space for more updates. I hope some of my old blog readers will come back and comment, and that maybe I'll get some new readers as well.
Now, I'm sending this post from my gmail account to see if that new toy works!
Update: well my gmail posted OK but the formatting I put into it got all fucked up so note to self: only use email for simple posts! This is the re-edited version.
Updated update: Further note to self: only use the Typepad HTML editor when editing emailed posts: what a mess the rich text editor made! This is the re-re-edited version.